18 March 2013

about me...

-->
Welcome!  My name is elisa.  I am an artist, a mom, an ex-therapist, a bit of a tea addict, and a nature enthusiast.



My goal as an artist is to help the viewer find some sort of balance in their lives. Even if it is only for a brief moment.  I do this by focusing on the simplest elements of nature. Whether it is a quiet landscape or a flower on a blank canvas, my art becomes a break from the everyday.  It’s a reminder to stop, breathe, and prioritize what is important.



In 2012 I became active in art fairs.  I set up a very simple white tent and surround it with my landscapes.  When people would walk in, there would be almost a complete sigh of relief.  A break.  They’d turn quiet for a moment.  Maybe two.  I could see it in their faces as they relaxed.  Everything else was gone for just a moment and they could be quiet.  That was when I was 100% sure I was exactly where I need to be doing exactly what I need to do. 



I have been an artist for as long as I could remember.  After graduating art school in Chicago, I moved to NYC.  Back then I didn’t understand how an artist could make a living, so I worked in not-for-profits because making the world a better place is another one of my passions.  Eventually I got a MSW and became a therapist only to be laid off after a few years because of the economy.  So, I picked up my paintbrushes and went to work (something I had been wanting to do for awhile anyway).  I spent the next few years figuring out exactly what my style was and what I wanted to paint.  Landscapes were calling to me and I felt compelled to create them with big open skies and calm but colorful lands.  The overall response to my work was that it got viewers to stop, breathe and relax.  I had finally found a way to merge my art career with my social work/therapy training. I found a way to help people through my art.  It was something I never expected but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it's cheesy at all. You have a gift and you honored that by listening to it and cutting out the extra 'noise'.
    I think this world can use every bit of serenity it can get.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.