31 January 2014

meet the collector: Tina (and family)

Purple Flowers III by elisa ann lindstrom (top) & the drawing that Tina's daughter drew of the piece (bottom)

I have known Tina for 20 years now. She's taken me on many hikes and taught me a lot about nature, hiking and some basics on knowing different types of trees.  In many ways I have her to thank for reminding me about the amazing and cool aspects of nature.

1) Your husband bought you the Purple Flowers III as a birthday gift.  He said you had been looking at it a lot. What was it about the piece that you liked? Overall, I like your art because it seems very Zen to me, in the sense that there is some potential for movement, but in a peaceful way. It's like you've caught a moment. I like your Purple Flowers III because of the color, of course, but also because the flowers could be swaying in the breeze. It has a Japanese feel to me in the way the space is just as important as the flowers. I think Frank Lloyd Wright accomplished this in his architecture.

2) You are an avid hiker and nature lover.  This may be a broad question, but what about nature pulls you in?
I have always liked playing outside, going barefoot, swimming, digging holes, finding worms, collecting rocks and shells, planting things, and learning about natural resources. (I hope you still remember what Sassafras looks like!) I remember always looking out the window while sitting in class, and I always petitioned my teachers and professors to let us sit outside. My favorite teachers actually did sit outside sometimes. It was distracting for some, but for me it was LESS distracting! John and I have always liked to bike and hike together, or walk along the beach. I am not sure why I never went camping until college. I guess I just needed to find the right people to go with! My first roommate, my second roommate and I went on some awesome trips during college breaks. I like the variety of nature, animal songs, colors, breezes, the way plants and animals are uniquely suited to where they live and what they eat. I feel like I'm part of the world when I'm outside. You ask,"What about nature pulls you in?" I guess I would say it pulls me "out." I like canoeing and kayaking because I can see a whole new perspective from the water. It's very peaceful.

4) You and your husband are raising two little girls "in the woods" as you like to say. Was the proximity of the woods in your backyard and a lake a block or so away a big part of why you bought the house?
We do like the space in this house. We had planned on buying a house with a large yard or woods but we had not necessarily decided we needed a lake! Both were factors in our decision to buy this house though. We like having deer pass through the yard or hawks fly over.  One day a fox was sunning itself on our front doormat, which also gave him a good spot for camouflage. We are less happy when the coyotes, fisher cats and skunks are around, but they are fascinating to watch.

5) Your oldest daughter drew a picture of the painting, do you think she may be a budding artist?

I think both girls have their own sense of space and style in their art!  My older daughter seems to like sculpture a bit more (Play-Doh!) and my younger one likes painting-especially her whole hand. I will give them opportunities to try different types of art and ways to be creative and see what they decide!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.