27 October 2011

Focus on: Under A Western Sky

Under A Western Sky copyright elisa ann lindstrom

copyright elisa ann lindstrom
Titled by: C. Nichols

24" x 30" 

medium used: acrylic paint, matte medium, conte crayon, soft pastels, & gouache



A few years ago, I went out to San Francisco area for the first time.  There were a number of reasons to go, for starters, one of my high school friends was getting married but also I went out to meet the grandparents of my fiancĂ© (now husband).   They lived east of the bay area in Turlock, CA.  On the way there, we passed these beautiful landscapes (many of which I have since painted). At the time, I wasn’t working on landscapes at all but I was compelled to take photos on the car ride back to San Francisco.



When I did start working on my landscape series, Under A Western Sky was the first one that I created.  Part of my interest in this particular landscape was that there were telephone poles in the distance and I thought it would be a good segue from my work of studies of telephone poles to larger landscapes.  Another reason I liked this scene was how big the sky is, how strong the mountains feel and how rich the land looked.



I started my first version of this piece a while ago and came back to it more recently in order to give more depth, texture and color to the land. You can see earlier versions of this piece in the “Previous posts” section below.


Previous posts about this piece:
http://elisaannlindstrom.blogspot.com/2008/04/name-my-art-friday_18.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.